Just Drive Distracted Driving Prevention
Statewide Prevention Campaign Brings Awareness to the Dangers of Distracted Drivin
TETAF Targets Distracted Driving to Prevent/Reduce Injuries
More than 3,300 people were killed in 2011, and 387,000 were injured in crashes involving a distracted driver, according to separate National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration data. In 2010, motor vehicle crashes caused 36 percent of the fatalities in Texas trauma centers and transportation-related injuries are the leading cause of traumatic brain injury among individuals ages 15 to 64.
At any given daylight moment across America, approximately 660,000 drivers are using cell phones or manipulating electronic devices while driving. Although cell phones are a major culprit, anything that takes your mind and attention away from your driving is a distraction.
Recognizing the importance of Texas EMS and trauma professionals speaking out on the dangers of distracted driving, the Injury Prevention and Pediatric Divisions of TETAF selected this as the focus for the organization’s 2013-14 injury prevention campaign. Since that time, TETAF has continued to support this important initiative through both education and action at the Texas Capitol.
TETAF Statewide Pledge Drive
TETAF has developed a statewide pledge drive to challenge communities to pledge to not drive while distracted. By asking leaders as well as community members to “take the pledge,” the goal is to bring awareness to the dangers of distracted driving and encourage both teen and adult drivers to eliminate all distractions and “Just Drive.”
To implement the pledge drive in local communities, sample materials are provided here. A Step-by-Step Guide will help you create a local pledge drive campaign. The Idea Sheet provides suggestions for local activities/events to get your community involved. Modify the suggested timeline to make the dates coincide with your pledge drive. Local drives may be scheduled at any time that is convenient for the schools/community, and the timeline may provide guidance. For more information please contact Robin Garza, RN.
A first step is contacting school and community leaders to gain their support for the pledge drive and generate conversation. Contact these possible target audiences:
- Texas high school principals
- City council members and/or mayor
- Chamber of Commerce leaders
Sample letters to facilitate making contact are provided. Then, message dissemination needs to occur. Use distribution channels appropriate for your community to make sure the public hears about the pledge drive and knows how to participate. TETAF has posted downloadable news releases, articles and social media messages as well as the actual pledge forms. See the Pledge Drive Materials on the right.
TETAF Distracted Driving Prevention Goals
- Enlist the support of at least 100 trauma program directors across the state to educate the public about the dangers of distracted driving, with a special emphasis on texting and driving.
- Lead statewide education efforts by health care professionals across the state and encourage each of the state’s 22 Trauma Regional Advisory Councils to coordinate regional activities to educate the public about the dangers of distracted driving, with a special emphasis on texting and driving.
- When possible, partner with other organizations/companies that are also working on this initiative, including AT&T.
- Support legislation during the 2017 Texas legislative session that would ban texting and driving across the state and penalize those who cause accidents.
- Reduce the number of distracted driving-related accidents by 10 percent in three targeted regions of the state over 18 months.
- Achieve 50 percent participation by high school students in three targeted communities in AT&T’s “take the pledge” campaign.
- Position TETAF as a leader in injury prevention by increasing media awareness and public exposure.
Pledge Drive Materials
- Step-by-Step Planning Guide for Pledge Drive
- Just Drive Campaign Idea Sheet
- Sample Pledge Letter for City Council
- Sample Pledge Letter for Chamber of Commerce
- Sample Pledge Letter for High School
- Individual Pledge Form
- Sample Social Media Messages
- Sample Article for High School
- Ideas to Raise Awareness of Distracted Driving Problem
- Facts and Figures about Distracted Driving
- Social Media Guide
- Concho Valley RAC Ads
- Key Messages for TETAF Distracted Driving Campaign
- Just Drive Presentation - July 2014 [ppsx]
- Just Drive Presentation - July 2014 [pptx]
- Just Drive Presentation - links from video
- Just Drive Presentation - July 2014 [zip]